This handcrafted, expert level, highly detailed, high quality, Xebec Corsair Barbary Pirate ship galley model is fully assembled and ready for display (not a kit).
This Corsair Barbary Pirate ship galley model was specially designed & built by the plank on bulkhead method (joining multiple small pieces of wood like Rosewood, Mahogany, Teak and other exotic tropical wood together on the hull). The pirate ship model is built exactly to scale as an original Mediterranean Xebec galley ship was with many details. The task required skillful craftsmen hundreds of hours to accomplish.
Corsair Pirate Lore: The three masted Xebec with its lateen sails was used for centuries in the Mediteranean as a merchant ship because of its speed and shallow draught. It was not long before Corsairs, the pirates of the Mediteranean, decided on the Xebec as their vessel of choice for lighting fast attacks on heavier ladened merchant ships. With its fourteen cannons slug low in the waists, the Xebec would hole her prey just inches above the waterline making escape impossible. Six culverins were mounted along the poop deck for close action or just in case the crew tried to mutiny. Oars were used when the wind failed giving the Xebec the upper hand in attacking other vessels or fleeing the authorities (please note the oars hanging alongside the poop deck).
The model measures 35" long from bow to stern. It's a historical & famous ship model that will be a conversation piece for any room or office.
Highlights about this Mediterranean pirate model ship:
- 100% hand built from scratch using “plank on bulkhead” construction method
- Included with this expert level tall ship model is a solid wood base with a brass name plate
- Size: 35" overall length x 27" height x 7" width
- Condition: New (fully assembled)
- Hundreds of hours where required to finish this model sailboat
- Completed model contains thousands of details created by skillful master craftsmen
- Made of finest wood like Rosewood, Mahogany, Teak and other exotic tropical wood
- Chrome and brass fittings and ornaments constitute the excellence of this model
- Extensive research through original plans and pictures make this model authentic
- This model went through a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop