This highly detailed, high quality, expert level, RRS Discovery Antarctic Steamship Tall Ship model is Brand New, semi-assembled and ready for display (not a kit). Some light assembly is required you will need to attach the ship model to it's base stand and attach the bowsprit into it's position, instructions and materials are included (please see images, text instructions included too, video can be sent). Because this model is semi-built we are able to ship the model in a much smaller package and pass the savings in shipping onto you.
This RRS Discovery Antarctic Steamship tall ship model was specially designed & built by the plank on bulkhead method (joining multiple small pieces of wood like Rosewood, Mahogany, Teak and other exotic tropical wood together on the hull). The tall ship model is built exactly to scale as the original RRS Discovery Steamship was with many details. The task required skillful craftsmen hundreds of hours to accomplish.
The hull has been painted black with white stripes and a red bottom. On the deck, there are metal davits holding authentic hand-built lifeboats painted white, a smokestack, black netting on the bowsprit, intricate rigging for the three masts and many other handcrafted ornaments. Included with this tall sailing ship model is an ornate nameplate bearing the name of RRS Discovery.
The RRS Discovery is a barque-rigged auxiliary steamship built in Dundee, Scotland for Antarctic research. Launched in 1901, she was the last traditional wooden three-masted ship to be built in the United Kingdom. Her first mission was the British National Antarctic Expedition, carrying Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton on their first, and highly successful, journey to the Antarctic, known as the Discovery Expedition.
After service as a merchant ship before and during the First World War, Discovery was taken into the service of the British government in 1923 to carry out scientific research in the Southern Ocean, becoming the first Royal Research Ship. The ship undertook a two-year expedition – the Discovery Investigations – recording valuable information on the oceans, marine life and being the first scientific investigation into whale populations.
The RRS Discovery steamship model measures 34.7" long from bow to stern. It's a historic & beautiful ship model that is sure to become a treasured family heirloom.
Highlights about this RRS Discovery model steamship:
- 100% hand built from scratch using “plank on bulkhead” construction method
- Included with this expert level tall ship model is a solid wood base with a brass name plate
- Size: 34.7" overall length x 26" height x 5.1" width
- Condition: New (semi-assembled)
- Hundreds of hours where required to finish this model sailboat
- Completed model contains thousands of details created by skillful master craftsmen
- Made of finest wood like Rosewood, Mahogany, Teak and other exotic tropical wood
- Chrome and brass fittings and ornaments constitute the excellence of this model
- Extensive research through original plans and pictures make this model authentic
- This model went through a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop